We know your pet's surgery can be a very stressful time for your family and your pet.
We realize this and go to great lengths to maximize safety while your pet is in our care.
The following is a list that makes up our standard surgical protocol to achieve this goal. We believe this is one aspect that makes Den Herder Veterinary Hospital different.
- Presurgical exam with EKG
- Presurgical blood
- Sedation with pain control
- Fluid therapy given when necessary
- Antibiotics given pre-op
- Gas anesthesia (sevoflorane)
- Tracheal intubation
- Monitoring - gas and oxygen administration
- Monitoring - hr, ecg, blood oxygen content, rr, temp - during surgery
- Completely sterile surgeries - infection prevention - Draping of surgical site
- Complete Monitored Recovery - Patient awake in 1-5 minutes post op
- Bathed prior to discharge
- Sent home with appropriate antibiotics and pain medication
- Sterile gloves
- Autoclaved instruments (heat sterilization)
- Surgeon w/ cap and mask
- Heated ICU cage (with oxygen)
- Monitored post op for the rest of the day
Our Surgical Protocol